11.03.2009

pendulums






Mom, addressing Dad, who was standing next to Esther: Oh, massage her neck; she has knots.
Dad, addressing Esther (6), and following instructions: Mom said, "you're nuts!"
Esther, in frenzied jubilation: I'm a Nazi!

Mom, explaining school textbook to Essie: ...and then you go here...
Essie: I know, I know, I know.
Mom: Well, maybe I should send you to college, since you know so much.
Talitha (3), in significant, confidential tones: And, we shall throw you out on the roof.

Essie: I don't want to fold the blanket like that.
Maggie (8): We must. It is our custom.

Essie, after Maggie growls lengthy stretch of something unintelligible : Don't talk like that; you sound ugly.
Maggie: But, I have to. I'm a man!

And today, Essie and Talitha came tumbling downstairs [mis]-quoting Ceasar: "I say, I saw, I conquered!"

*

Secretly, I like to think my older siblings thought I was as adorable at that age as I think my little sisters are, now.


No comments: